Friday, October 29, 2021

Second break of the day - at 319,000.

Took a big pot by representing a flush against the guy to my right, who must have had a high pair.

It started with my KQ offsuit, which I limped in with. Two other players called the big blind.  The flop was J 10 3, giving me an open end straight draw.  We all checked.  The turn was a 6.  The guy next to me bet 12,000.   I said something like, “I guess I call,” hoping I would catch an ace or 9 for the straight.

It didn’t happen, but I noticed that there were three spades on the board. My call on the turn was just as consistent with a player drawing to a flush as it was with a player drawing to a straight.  So when the guy to my right bet 15,000, I raised it to 45,000, representing that o had hit my flush. He folded.

The is an example of winning a hand by playing the other guy’s hand. And it only works if the player is smart enough to recognize the story you’re trying to tell.  I’ve gotten burned before when I make that play and the other player calls my bluff.

“You didn’t see the possible flush on the board?” I will say, incredulously.

“Oh, I guess I didn’t,” the less skilled player will respond.

Or that player, to preserve his dignity, will say, “I knew you didn’t have it.”

Anyway, the stack is still healthy. 350,000.



486 players left.  Prize is now $2157.

2 comments:

It’s Saturday afternoon here in Las Vegas, and I am sitting in the bingo room at the Gold Coast by myself, relaxing with some mindless activ...